From: Bunny Batzri
In the last year, a lot of things have changed, and a lot of things have stayed the same, but still, it feels almost like a whole new world to me. And I've got a lot to be thankful for, here on this national celebration of mass genocide and religious oppression born out of the desire for freedom. (Sorry. I couldn't help myself.)
Here's what I'm thankful for, this year:
* Life. I know that's a big statement, but hear me out. I'm healthy, I'm happy, I'm a good little sidhe girl standing at the edge of the big dark wood called 'the rest of your days', and I'm ready to tie on the red hood and get looking for wolves. The entire world is spread out in front of me, and I have the time to discover and enjoy it. That's something I'm pretty damn thankful for.
* Knowledge. The future isn't here yet, but I wouldn't be half as eager to see it arrive if it wasn't for what I know about the past. I have learned as much as I can about the history of our kind in this world, both before and after the Resurgence, and I feel well-armed to go out into my life. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it, after all, and I HATE remedial classes.
* My family. Family rocks. I'm allowed to be twee on Thanksgiving, and so I'm going to say it again: family ROCKS. Having people who love you, circle around you, care for you and keep you? That just rules. Not every family is related by blood, either. If you're loved, count yourself lucky. I certainly do.
* On a more self-centered, less-cosmic level, I'm thankful for good comic books -- especially 'Fables', from DC, and 'EXiles' from Marvel (even if Chuck Austen IS going to be writing it for the foreseeable future), good books -- I'm midway through my nine billionth re-read of 'The Gunslinger', good television (go, 'Angel', go!) and good movies coming soon to a theatre near me. Entertainment is good.
* Finally, I'm thankful for Roger. Being a good girl who wants to graduate this year, I didn't set out to find myself a boyfriend over the summer, which, of course, meant that I wound up finding one. And he's a GREAT boyfriend, who keeps me from bludgeoning the stupid with whatever heavy things I may happen to find close to hand. All you stupid people out there, you should be thankful for my boyfriend, too.
I am happy, I am healthy, and I am loved. And for all of that, I am thankful.
What are YOU thankful for? Take a moment, if you've got one, and let me know.
C'mon, SOMEONE had to say it!